Monday, October 12, 2009

Nick's Thoughts


Approximately 1 year ago I sat at a round table with an inspired man who had just completed year 3 of Men’s Fraternity. I had been on a transformation journey with this man and when he announced that he was going to run across the state for an orphanage in South Africa, I was caught in the moment. I blurted out, “I’ll go with you!”

That moment quickly wore off which changed my thoughts to “What was I thinking?” As the day quickly approached my attitude about being in a bouncy RV with 4 ripe runners that I didn’t know very well, running across the state didn’t exactly change. Again, “What was I thinking?”

As with everything in my life I should have stepped back and realized how many times I was using the word “I”. Every time I begin to focus on me God is getting ready to teach me something. It’s never about me its about HIM.

Bouncing my way to Council Bluffs from Des Moines I was scared. I was afraid my legs wouldn’t hold up. I was afraid I wouldn’t have anything to talk about with the other runners. I was afraid my wife would want to kill me for dragging her into this. I was afraid we would fail. Any one ever read Philippians 4:13?

My attitude quickly changed. I started this journey with strangers, who quickly turned to friends, which rapidly evolved into family. I will forever hold a special place in my heart for the 4 of you that shared those 5 days in an RV that crept across the state of Iowa changing African children’s lives. As I reflect on our journey I miss everyone of you and look forward to doing more life with all of you.

These are a few of my thoughts from my 5 day journey across the state.

Council Bluffs, Oakland, Atlantic, Wiota, Anita, Adair, Casey, Menlo, Stuart, Dexter, Redfield, Adel, Waukee, Clive, Windsor Heights, Des Moines, Pleasant Hill, Prairie City, Colfax, Lambs Grove, Newton, Kellog, Oakland Acres, Grinnel, Brookland, Ladora, Marengo, Oxford, Tiffin, Coralville, Iowa City, West Liberty, Atilissa, Muscatine. Amazing food in Council Bluffs with a great family and a drummer named Kyle. A Godly family with a farmhouse that had an entire room dedicated to Africa. This family really reminded me of my own. I wonder if they are adopting a family of 4? Brads family’s fantastic hospitality and life changing lasagna. Andrew and the Linen coat. Still trying to make up for that one! God meeting us exactly where we are. Brads planning. (Except for his Saturday Frito snack) My new love for RV’s. I will never forget the bathroom I had for 5 days. Bottles of water will never be the same. Our Boston qualifier. Yes I raised sheep! Cows running to or from us. Dogs. Wind. Rain. Sunshine. Farmers blows. Sharing God. Growing closer to God. Sharing life. Running helpers. The running stick. Leg wraps. Ice. Ibuprofen. Ipod’s. Compression shorts. Cleaning out the RV. The “you know what is full”. Physical challenges overcome. Love of health. Love of this life. Love of new friends. Love of family. Love of children. Love of God. Thank you Pines. Thank you Point of Grace. Thank you Brad. Thank you God. Another great memory created with my awesome wife and best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment